James Abbott is Head of the Construction Disputes practice in the Middle East. James specialises in commercial litigation, arbitration and ADR. James has significant experience of cross-border banking and financial litigation, including fraud and asset tracing, regulatory investigations, sanctions issues, joint venture and shareholder disputes.
He has advised on a number of major infrastructure and construction projects and represents insurers and reinsurers. James has experience of arbitration under the ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, ICSID and DIAC Rules.
Career and qualifications
• Durham University (BA Modern Languages) 1987
• Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1996
• Joined Clifford Chance 2002
• Partner since 2010
• Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, (MCIArb)
• Vice-chairman of the UAE Committee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Awards and citations
• James Abbott is acclaimed for his strong regional experience, and is widely noted as a “safe, solid pair of hands.” He is prominent for his banking disputes expertise, acting on high-value cases in the DIFC Courts and international arbitration tribunals. One source rated him as “a quality disputes lawyer.“
Chambers Global 2019